Making the Cut

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 12.23.29 AM


What you need to know about subdividing in Christchurch. The process of subdivision is one that can create opportunities for a number of landowners. 

Experienced professional surveyors and planners can identify development and subdivision opportunities for your property, by undertaking a desktop review of the applicable subdivision and planning controls. Envivo regularly provides such advice to landowners.

Many people are not aware that the new Christchurch District Plan makes provision for the replacement of an earthquake damaged house with two new houses in the Residential Suburban and Residential Suburban Density Transition zones, which extend through Spreydon and Somerfield, parts of Waltham, Linwood and Phillipstown.

To utilise that opportunity, you will need a letter from your insurance company stating that the house is uneconomic to repair, and to engage an architect or draughtsperson to prepare plans showing the replacement houses.

The Residential Medium Density Zone, which extends around the CBD and Hagley across the suburbs of Riccarton, Merivale, St Albans, Edgeware, Richmond, Linwood, Sydenham and Addington, also provides substantial opportunity for multi-unit housing development and subdivision; in most instances requiring a Resource Consent from Council. You would need to work with a planner and architect/designer to explore the opportunities for this zone.

The subdivision process typically involves a licenced cadastral surveyor, such as the team at Envivo Christchurch, who will arrange for the following services and will co-ordinate with your solicitor to arrange the issue of new titles.

Topographical and Boundary Definition Survey

  • Scheme Plan of subdivision
  • Subdivision Consent
  • Building set out and Building Location Certificate
  • Land Transfer Survey of the property
  • Deposit of Survey Plan
  • Subdivision certification from Council.

Most landowners choose to leave this process to the professionals – surveyor, planner and solicitor, so that they can be assured it will progress smoothly.


Article courtesy of James Hook, Christchurch director at Envivo Ltd 


Say something!