If you are rebuilding a house or garage it’s worth checking your plans don’t involve building over a council drain.

Many councils, including Christchurch City Council, have a policy against building over drains – including water, wastewater and stormwater pipes. This is so the council and SCIRT can check, repair and replace drains quickly and efficiently.

You may not be able to rebuild your house, garage, or other building in exactly the same spot or to the same design if it was built over a drain in the past. You will need to design any new building so it is not built over, or closer than one metre either side, of a council drain.


Check in with the council early to save time and money

The pre-design stage is the best time to alter your plans without spending a lot of time, effort and money. Phone 941 8999, email info@ccc.govt.nz, or book a pre-application meeting to get the information the council has about drains on your property.

Get expert advice from a drainage engineer

If you have drawn up plans and realise you come too close to council drains, it’s worth thinking about re-designing the new building. You can also arrange a meeting with a council drainage engineer to discuss your plans or apply for a dispensation if you meet certain conditions.

Say something!